City of Frankfort Sewer Department – Chemist / Pretreatment Coordinator
As Kentucky’s Capital City, Frankfort is committed to preserving its unique history while taking a proactive approach to building its future. We promote an enhanced quality of life, work and play by providing professional services in a responsive, timely, and compassionate manner that meet and exceed expectations of all our citizens.
Our employees enjoy a supportive work environment, offering work/life balance and a real opportunity to make a difference.
Full time position
Under general direction, this position coordinates pretreatment program with business/industry customers; supervises lab technicians while assisting with the duties and prepares and maintains accurate and up-to date reports.
Key responsibilities include:
• Monitors industrial discharge into the sanitary sewer system insuring self-monitoring by each industry lab and by collecting and analyzing discharge; provides safety officials and/or engineer of each industry with verbal and written instructions requiring change in discharge necessary to remain within prescribed limits for discharge.
• Reviews all industrial permits and makes changes regarding FSD’s limitations.
• Inspects all industries and prepares report on each regarding operations housekeeping and chemical storage room.
• Supervises lab technician(s) and collects samples from designated sampling paints; analyzes samples taken; informs Plant Operators of necessary changes in processes or chemicals to insure compliance with prescribed standards.
• Monitors and analyzes chemical levels; increases or reduces chemicals in accordance with prescribed standards.
• Prepares reports as required, forwards to designated agencies, maintains accurate records.
• Requisitions and maintains inventory of supplies, chemicals and equipment.
• Responsible for general maintenance, cleaning and sanitation of laboratory, instruments and supplies.
• Ensures that the lab meets the minimum requirements of the Commonwealth of Kentucky Laboratory Certification Program, as required by 401 KAR 5:320, to retail laboratory certification.
Successful candidates will have:
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with federal, state and local officials, business representatives and the general public.
• Knowledgeable about the subject matter, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to area of responsibility.
• Treats all people with respect; works cooperatively with people of diverse cultural identities.
• Provides direction, motivation, and sets an example through open communication and modeling best practices.
• Maintains a respectful, diverse and inclusive work environment where decisions and transactions are transparent and objective.
• Productive, efficient, thoughtful management of employees.
Work Experience Requirements:
One year directly related laboratory work experience. Graduate work in a related field may substitute for the experience on a year for year basis.
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or a Bachelor’s degree in a closely related field that includes a minimum of fifteen (15) semester hours of Chemistry course/lab work.
Commonwealth of Kentucky Class IV Wastewater Plant Operator License is desired but not required. Must posess and maintain valid drivers license. Complete the KYTNWEA Voluntary Pretreatment Certification Training within the first year of accepting the position. Class IV Wastewater Lab Analyst license issued by the Association of Boards of Certification is desired but not required.
Employees receive a comprehensive benefits package including pension benefits, medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, paid leave, voluntary 401(k) and 457 options, and tuition reimbursement.
The City of Frankfort is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or any other non-merit based factor.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply on line at the City of Frankfort website at https://www.frankfort.ky.gov/Jobs.aspx.
• Cover letter
Job will be posted until position is filled.
Please note that satisfactory completion of a drug test and background check is a condition of employment.
City of Frankfort Sewer Department
1200 Kentucky Ave.
Frankfort, KY 40601